Welcome to the ultimate guide for Sims 4 players who want to give their characters a personality boost! On this blog, you’ll find out how you can change traits and create the Sim of your dreams. Whether your Sim is an athlete, an artist, or something else entirely – we’ve got you covered! So let’s get started on your journey and find out exactly how you can be a pro at changing traits in the Sims 4.
Introduction to Traits in Sims 4
In The Sims 4, every character you create and play has a set of distinct Traits that can influence your Sim’s emotions, specific behaviors, career success, relationships with other Sims and more. Traits determine how a Sim behaves in different situations and can be modified at any time. The essential traits for each Sim are determined at random at the game’s start but are fully customizable from there on out – players can choose to focus on maximizing each trait or change them completely if their chosen playstyle changes over time.
It’s important to note that the available trait options vary depending on your version of the Sims 4 game. Overall though, the traits generally fall into one of three categories:
- Personality traits (these determine your Sim’s basic personality)
- Bonus traits (these give your Sim special powers or abilities)
- Reward traits (which are acquired through completing challenges in-game)
This guide provides an introduction to understanding and customizing all three kinds of traits in the Sims 4 game.
Overview of Trait Types
The Sims 4 offers hundreds of Traits to choose from, giving your Sims personalities with which you can’t go wrong. Each of these Traits influences the way your Sim interacts with others, and how they view the world around them. Choosing the right traits for your Sim will give them an identity and make them unique to you and every other player.
There are four main categories when it comes to Trait types: Personality, Bonus, Aspiration and Death.
Personality traits are determined by your choices in Create A Sim or by interacting with other Sims in game; these govern how a Sim will act or react in different situations. For example, the ‘Gloomy’ trait increases Sad emotion when things don’t go as planned and nothing cheers them up quite as quickly as their favorite activities.
Bonus traits provide general benefits that usually carry across multiple gameplay modes and serve as a slight boost to certain tasks. For example, ‘Early Bird’ can get you up early to start tasks faster while ‘Silver Tongued Devil’ grants quicker sales when speaking to others.
Aspiration traits help improve focus during specific aspirations; such as Angling Ace providing better rewards when fishing or Geek providing an easier time completing certain Geek-related related goals.
Death traits trigger upon death; like Frugal Fortune granting rewards after death that can improve gameplay significantly on harder levels or No Regrets granting a bonus aspiration point with each level completed before death – which could be very useful in tougher play-throughs!
How to Add Traits to Sims
Adding traits to a Sim in The Sims 4 is an important part of character creation, as traits determine how Sims behave, feel, and interact with other Sims and the environment around them. There are three different types of traits available to Sims in The Sims 4: Traits that give extra skill points for certain skills, emotional traits that affect emotions that your Sim will experience more often than not, and reward traits that give your Sim access to extra activities or specific rewards for completing tasks.
Adding these traits can be done through the game’s Trait Selection menu. When customizing a Sim during character creation you can add one to five different traits from any categories. If you select more than one trait then a seventh random trait will also be added automatically if enabled in settings.
You can change a Sim’s traits at any time by accessing the Trait menu at the bottom right of the screen In Live Mode or Create-A-Sim Mode (CAS). Once in the Trait menu you can select up to five different traits including ones already on your Sim. You can add or remove any existing trait by hovering over it and selecting either “Keep” or “Remove” below its icon. Additionally, new empty slots will become available as your Sim ages allowing you to add additional skills and personality elements each age Milestone and even when just passing time in Live mode thus adding depth and complexity to their personality.
Sims 4 how to change traits
Changing traits in The Sims 4 is a great way to truly make a Sim your own. Traits are unique characteristics that tell you how a Sim behaves, and there are plenty of different traits to choose from. By default, every Sim starts off with three traits (often chosen randomly). To change these traits, you must go into the game’s Create A Sim mode and select whichever trait you would like your Sims to have. If more than three traits are chosen, one of the previously selected ones will be replaced.
There are 28 total traits available within The Sims 4 game. These include:
- Six personality traits
- Twelve hobby/lifestyle traits
- Four bonus power traits (these can only be earned by completing certain activities)
- Six bonus reward traits (these can only be earned by completing certain activities)
Each trait gives your Sim a particular behavior or gameplay effect that is either positive or negative.
To change the trait of an existing Sim character in The Sims 4, click on the “Traits” section while in Create A Sim mode and then make sure that your current selection matches what you want for this particular character. Keep in mind that each trait has their own bonuses and drawbacks so make sure to take these into account when making changes. Once you’ve picked out the perfect set of traits for your character, just click “Accept” and let your legacy begin!
Using Cheats to Change Traits
The Sims 4 gives you the ability to alter and customize your Sims with a range of traits, skills, and aspirations. Adding traits to your Sims helps define their personalities and make them unique. If you want to customize your Sim but don’t want to go through the process of earning trait points or waiting until levels, you can use cheats to instantly upgrade them with traits.
To activate cheats in The Sims 4, open up the cheat consoles by pressing CTRL + SHIFT+ C on a PC/Mac. Type in “testingcheats true” into the command box and press enter. This will enable ‘testing cheats’ which will essentially give you access to more tools inside the game such as being able to modify traits manually.
To change a trait from this point onwards it’s relatively simple – just type:
- ‘traits.equip_trait TraitName” into the command box and press enter for each trait that you want to add into your Sim’s inventory (e.g., an example could be: “traits.equip_trait Hotheaded” which will set Hotheaded as an active trait).
- ‘traits.remove_trait TraitName” (e.g., an example could be: “traits.remove_trait Hotheadedd” which will remove Hotheaded as an active trait).
As soon as you enter a valid command into the cheat console, it should instantly take effect in-game – giving your Sim an upgraded personality in no time at all!
Tips for Choosing Traits
If you’re looking to customize your Sim’s character, choosing the right traits can be an important part of the process. Sims 4 allows you to choose up to three traits for your Sim, as well as a bonus trait if you complete the first four regular aspirations. Your choice of traits will determine your Sim’s personality and influence their behavior, so it’s important to pick them carefully.
Every trait has its own good and bad points, so yours should depend on what you want your Sim personality to reflect. Generally speaking, the lifetime wishes will either enable or prevent certain traits from being selected. For instance, becoming a witch will deny a Sims from selecting Family-Oriented and Virtuoso traits.
Sims 4 offers more than seventy unique traits divided into four categories—Personality Traits, Bonus Traits, Death Flower Traits and Reward Traits based on Aspirations completed in game play—so there are plenty of options! Of course all these choices limit the realistic play potential since each can only select up to three visible traits at any one time; however there are some helpful tips for selecting the best ones for your individual sims:
- Personality Traits: These are fairly straightforward choices; select ones depending on how you’d like your Sims behavior reflected or project any specific desirable quality in them (e.g., ambitiousness) that would assist in successfully completing milestones during game play.
- Bonus Traits: Each sim has two bonus options giving players more ability to customize their sim’s behavior outside of Personality Trait selections. If you aren’t sure what type of character development desires when creating a Sim, it can be helpful to pick one Realistic trait and one Fantasy trait when choosing Bonus traits in order gain flexibility within game play environment.
- Death Flower Traits: Death Flower traits represent unusual properties of characters unlocked once a player reaches level 9 Xp within life stages earned by completing ‘whims’ in game objectives; these uncommon qualities provide excellent opportunities for gamers wanting truly creative Games with diverse cast characters.
- Secondary Reward (Aspiration)Traits: Dedicated players who complete Aspiration milestones are eligible contenders for receiving reward (or aspiration) trait who select it upon completion usually reflecting some quality associated with conclusion of aspiration milestone during gaming session (e.g., Renowned Chef who cooks gourmet meals earns haute cuisine preparation reward trait.)
The Sims 4 provides many options to customize the traits of your Sim and how they interact with the world. After experimenting with different combinations, you can create your ideal Sim and set them up in a selection of rich environments to live their life.
Traits play an important role in how your Sim will develop over time. Setting up a certain combination of Traits can guide their personality and give them access to special interactions, items, and areas not available anywhere else. With the options available it makes for an enjoyable experience each time you dive into The Sims 4 world.